Friday, August 27, 2010

Quickies 8/27/10

Hey guys! Sorry that the posts have been coming so sparingly, but I've been really busy getting the shop organized. Everything is all set now though, so I'll be updating this more regularly again. I also plan to eat more pizza than ever before! My goals are amazing.

Without further ado...

Green Arrow #3

I will say that I do love the cover for this issue. I know the image of Ollie with an arrow in his head stirred up a bit of controversy, but I think it looks pretty awesome. I thinks it's actually tasteful, as far as covers with the main characters with arrows in their heads go.

Speaking of which, Green Arrow has quite a bit of inner monologue going on for a guy with an arrow in his brain. He's also trying to speak! I don't know if the writer has ever been shot in the head with an arrow before, but usually those things tend to cease when something goes into your brain. Green Arrow must be a ridiculous tough customer.

This issue is okay, but I still have no idea where it's going. Is this book about the forest, the white lanterns, or Green Arrow's redemption? It could be all three, but I really don't know. It's that question, what's going on, that is keeping me from getting into this series and enjoying it. It makes things, like the introduction of Galahad (yes, as in the Round Table), less interesting and somewhat annoying.

This series still has potential, but the clock is ticking.


Guarding the Globe #1

Remember when Friends went off the air, but they had Matt LeBlanc star in his own series called "Joey"? Remember how god awful "Joey" was? It was really bad. I don't think Matt LeBlanc has done anything since that show tanked, so long ago. Oh well, I'm sure we'll see him on some Sy-Fy original movies soon. Let's take a look at this, long awaited comic, book spin-off.

The title of this book is not a typo, it really is called Guarding the Globe. You would think it would be called Guardians of the Globe, because that's what the teams name is, but you would be wrong. I guess they would rather name the book after what they're doing, as opposed to their name.

Since this book is set in the Invincible universe, it features a lot of the cast members of that series. While some spin-offs tend to lose the tone of their parent books, this one does not. That is mainly due to Invincible writer, Robert Kirkman, writing this book as well. Having him as the writer has kept the book full of the same energy, humor, and over-the-top action that you've come to expect from Invincible. If you enjoy Invincible, or fun super hero books, there is no reason why you wouldn't like this book.

Ransom Getty was a good choice for the pencils on this book. I do think he tries to emulate Ryan Ottley's work a bit too much, as I would like to see him really develop the characters on his own. He did a great job overall though. I really enjoyed it. Getting one inker and colorist would be a good idea for future issues. If you like on the inside flap, you see several inkers and colorists were used and it is a little bit jarring when reading the issue.

This book is a lot of fun, and great introductory story for these great characters. If you've wanted to jump into Invincible, but were not sure how, then this is the book for you.

I just checked out Matt LeBlanc on IMDB, and I'm sad to report that he really hasn't done anything since "Joey" was cancelled. Somebody hire this charming, funny, goofball. If you're reading this Matt, we will pay you one large pizza to come down and do a video for our store.

Here are books that I thought were cool this week. Black Widow #5, Captain America #609, Invincible #74, Justice League: Generation Lost #8, Prince of Power #4, Punisher: Happy Ending, Action Comics #892, Time Masters #2, X-Factor #206.

No comments:

Post a Comment