Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Quickies 8/4/10

Marvel Universe Vs. The Punisher

Don't be confused! This is not the same book as the Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe. This book is totally different, because in this one The Punisher kills the Marvel Uni.... Damnit! Okay, so maybe it's similar, but it is definitely a different story! I swear!

Frank makes an unintentional booboo in this one guys. He shoots up some mobsters that were carrying a dangerous chemical. That chemical gets into the water supply of NYC, and seven months down the road everyone starts turning into cannibals. They are NOT zombies though. The book makes that very clear. I'm assuming they made that distinction because of the over-saturation of zombie stories in comic books nowadays. How do you stop a global outbreak of cannibalism? By shooting the crap out of it, of course! It's a good thing that the Punisher enjoys doing that, so convenient! If you're curious as to why he's immune, read the book. I'm not going to tell you everything that happens.

While this book does borrow heavily from two other popular Marvel stories, it still felt fresh when I read it. I'm really enjoying how they have been putting Frank Castle in different situations, than he would be used to. Adding science fiction elements to his stories has really captured my attention, and made me appreciate the character more.

This introductory issue is brooding and interesting. Jonathan Maberry, the writer, acknowledges that this story is similar to PKTMU and Marvel Zombies. This helps make the story more palatable to older comic fans, and less like a rip-off of classic stories. It flowed really well. I was firmly behind Frank by the end of this issue. The art, by Goran Parlov, compliments this book nicely. It helps Maberry's writing seem even more tragic. This is a good mix for a creative team.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I first saw this issue was coming out. I'm happy to report that I really liked it. I think if you're a fan of Marvel Zombies or Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe, then you should dig this story. If you enjoy the Punisher shooting the crap out of psychopaths, then you should dig this book as well.

Crossed: Family Values #3

Dear David Lapham and Javier Barreno,

What the hell is wrong with you? Did I seriously just read an issue full of mutilation and incest, only to have it end with a young girl ripping her unborn baby out of so she can eat it? Do you guys need a hug or something? Did your Dad not show up to your little league games? Seriously, this is some pretty #$%&'ed up stuff here guys.

Go fly a kite or something, chill out.

Best Regards,
Action Chad

Okay! That's it for this post! Here are some other books that I thought were cool this week!

Brightest Day #7, Captain America #608, Doomwar #6, Gorilla Man #2, Shadowland #2, SHIELD #3, Amazing Spider-Man #639, and Ultimate Avengers 2 # 6 (loved the ending to that issue).

1 comment: