Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Quickies 9/1/10

Guys, seriously, it's too hot in the shop for me to even think straight. I apologize in advance for anything that I may write due to heat exhaustion throughout this post. It's like the Human Torch is giving me a bear hug while whispering lewd things in my ear. It's hot AND uncomfortable. IT'S FRIGGIN' HOT!!!!

Here is my review of my favorite comic this week!

Avengers: The Children's Crusade #2:

The spellchecker says that I can't capitalize "Children's". You think you're so smart spellchecker, but you are not. You are dumb, because that is the title of this book. It needs to be capitalized! This is why robots will lose when they rise up to kill humanity.

This series is really shaping up to be something special. Having the original writer for Young Avengers back to write another story for this book was a great idea. Having them try and track down the Scarlet Witch (the mother of team members Wiccan and Speed) is an even better idea. What could possibly make this any better? How about if we add Magneto (father of the Scarlet Witch) into the fray, and make it a real family affair. It's a great idea for a story that is unveiling quite nicely in this second issue.

The only drawback is that the issue is a little steep in continuity. That may turn off readers who are unfamiliar with the characters. They do spend some time in this issue answering any questions a first time reader might have, which is certainly a positive. Kudos to Allan Heinburg for filling in the gaps while progressing the story.

Heinburg also does a great job of handling Magneto. I know some people don't care for the idea of Magneto being a good guy searching for redemption, but I love it. He's always been one of my favorite characters, and it seems logical for the character to progress this way. He's seen the error of his ways and wants to make amends, no matter how many times Wolverine tells him that he'll just go back to his old ways. Heinburg nails his character perfectly.

The art, by Jim Cheung, is amazing as well. He reminds me a lot of Oliver Coipel, in terms of the look of the characters. They look strong, powerful, and just realistic enough. He leaves in a bit of exaggeration to their form and features, which works quite well. It's a beautiful issue. It's hard for me to find fault with his work.

Overall, the family reunion/hunt for the Scarlet Witch is moving along nicely. This issue has some action, mystery, and great dialogue. Plus the reveal of the bad guy at the end of the issue should excite the majority of you. It would behoove you to be reading this series, if you enjoy quality comic books.

Holy cow, I think my brains are starting to melt out of my ears. What a horrible thing to happen! I'll be posting more reviews tomorrow, preferably from a walk-in freezer. Send help, I'm dying!

No comments:

Post a Comment