Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Quickies 9/22/10

Hey guys! So I totally eff'd up my Spider-Man coverage last week. I know it seems like working at a comic shop is a non stop mega party where everyone gets free pizza and girls run around in bikinis, but that's not the case. I have to do big boy work every now and then and sometimes that keeps me from the blog. SIGH! Luckily I'm back to being in my super fun Andrew W.K. mode and ready to spread some bloggy jam on the toast that is your eyeballs. That sounds gross! I'm sorry!

Fantastic Four #583

The Fantastic Four is a great title because it's not popular enough to have fans freak out over major changes, but just popular enough to avoid being canceled. It's awesome, because it gives the writers the ability to do anything they want with characters that can seemingly do anything! Did you know Dr. Doom made a new set of armor out of his ex-girlfriends skin once? It's true! Only in the Fantastic Four folks!

This issue kicks off the beginning of a major story called "Three". This story will result in, you guessed it, one of the members kicking the bucket. They haven't said which member it will be as of yet, but I'm guessing it's the stretchy guy that keeps F'n with things he shouldn't. That's my official guess!

If you're unfamiliar with the writer on this book, Hickman, then there are some things you should know. Hickman is a fantastic writer, but he lays multiple clues and plot lines in every issue of his now substantial run. At the beginning of this issue, there's a substantial trail of bread crumbs for you to catch up on. While this issue is written flawlessly, I can only imagine that a new reader would be lost when finishing it. I highly recommend starting from the beginning of Hickman's run in order to truly appreciate how great this issue is.

Epting provides the same great art that I've come to expect with every issue. His actions scenes are full of detail and take up the majority of the page. It's always a delight when Epting has The Thing clobbering the hell out of everything. The emotional moments, especially Valeria's encounter with Doom, are intense and full of anguish. He hits all of the right notes in this song. Not that it's really a song, but you get the idea. It's good stuff!

While this is another great issue, the amount of information you need to know in order to fully appreciate it is vast. I highly suggest picking up the two trades of Hickman's FF work before reading this issue. Other than that, this looks like it's going to be an amazing story that really will have those "crack the internet in half" type of repercussions.

Hey guys! Did you know I don't sit up in an ivory tower, casting judgment on all comic books that come my way? It's true! I'm actually very approachable and easy to contact. You can follow me on twitter @chadventure or you can email at chad@coastcitycomics.net. Send me messages at anytime and I will get back to you. Send me pictures, tell me your cat is going to vet, tell me I suck. It doesn't really matter. I am here for you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment