Friday, February 4, 2011

Comics! 2/4/11

It's been a couple of weeks since I last posted on here. The reason for my brief hiatus is that I went on a spirit quest in Sri Lanka. The end result, my spirit dinosaur is the ankylosaurus and I am to be weary of a dark haired man with a mysterious past. With that being said, let's talk about some comics that came out this week.

Ultimate New Ultimates #5

The bi-monthly schedule for this book really killed its momentum, but it sure is gorgeous. Frank Cho has put together another amazing looking book, and I feel it was worth the wait. We see some interesting things happen with the characters, cool fights, and about half the team ends up leaving by the end of it. All in all, I really enjoyed this story and this issue was a good ending. I would recommend picking it up in trade if you can't find the back issues for it. Also, someone gets a spear through their throat! That's top drawer entertainment in my book.




Brightest Day #19

This is the issue of Brightest Day that I've been waiting for. The issue that finally explains what is happening. It only took 19 issues to get to the explanation, which is way too long in my book, but I'll take what I can get. This issue is also entirely about Aquaman! He's been my favorite character in Brightest Day by far, so it made me very happy that I only read about him. The art continues to be solid and the story was really cool. Add in a couple of shocking panels at the end, and this is a must read for this week.





Invincible #77

After the explosive events of the last issue, I expected some more bloody fisticuffs. Instead, Mark is presented with an interesting ultimatum that he can't refuse. While it's not the epic brawls that I've come to expect from this book, it sets up a lot of interesting stories for the future. It's a fair trade in my opinion. Ryan Ottley continues to produce some of the best art out there and the story is top notch as usual. There are some grizzly scenes in the beginning of the book that should satisfy anyone's desire for disembowelment. However, if you truly desire disembowelment, then you're probably a murderer.



Hulk #29

This series continues to impress me with its awesome action, beautiful art, and well crafted stories. We get to see the Red and Green Hulk fight side by side in this issue, and they're fighting giant monsters to boot! The whole concept of it is a lot of fun, and it looks like it was a lot of fun for artist Gabriel Hardman as well. His pages are jam packed full of monsters, robots, and explosions. It's pretty awesome looking. We also get to see the rebirth of a villain that is a shop favorite. I'll give you a hint, he's a playable character in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. If you haven't been reading this book, then I highly recommend it. Stop in and check it out!



No comments:

Post a Comment