Saturday, February 20, 2010

Image United Continued!

Hey guys! Remember that blog post where I wrote about my concerns regarding Image United? Well the books have come out and I have read them. I hate to say I told you so but...oh who am I kidding? I was right, and I rather enjoy saying it!

If you're wondering what I'm talking about, then I would like to direct your attention to the quote below.

"This book is absolutely going to be late. As of Friday, McFarlane and Silvestri have contributed absolutely nothing to Image United #3. We're swimming in 10 year anniversary waters here..."

Todd McFarlane and Marc Silvestri are late with their drawings?? An Image book is running behind?? We don't know when it will actually arrive in stores?? Say it isn't so! This has never happened before, I don't understand...

Oh wait, this is the same crap we've been dealing with since the beginning of Image Comics. The founders of Image Comics do not produce things on time, that's a fact at this point. The idea of having them all work together on a single book sounds cool on paper, but has lead to this books downfall. What makes matters worse is that Liefeld even acknowledges this. It's almost as if he knew this was going to happen too!

The sad thing about it is that this book was actually selling well, despite itself. People were excited about it. They came back to the Image fold for a taste of nostalgia. Instead they have been greeted with the same treatment that turned them away in the first place. It's like getting back together with an ex-lover, it's fun at first but then you quickly remember why you broke up. In this case they are never on time, they make a lot of promises they can't keep, and their stories are weak. I'd normally say it's not you, it's me...but in this case Image, it is you.


I also noticed that Invincible is late as well! Robert Kirkman spent an entire year getting Invincible, and Walking Dead, out on time. Then he starts working on a project with the Image founders and his book is late. Coincidence? I don't think so. Let Kirkman work on his own books, don't rope him into this. There is some type of virus going around the Image offices, and hopefully it won't ruin the books that are actually good.

A fan of this series can only hope that things will improve in the future. At this point I would only advise cautious optimism. History is repeating itself once again, and anyone who remembers the past knows how this story will end.

Until next time,
Action Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment