Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sitting at the Kids Table 5/27/10

Hey guys! I thought I'd start taking a look at what's available in our kids comic book section here at the store. I titled it "sitting at the kids table" due to the articles association with kids, and because I still sit there when I attend Thanksgiving.

Marvel Adventures Spider-Man #2

Holy crap ninjas! Looks like Spidey is in trouble guys! I shouldn't say that, Spidey can handle a group of ninjas in his sleep! However, taking care of the pug dog he rescues at the beginning of the book may be the biggest test Spidey has ever faced. Have you ever had to take care of one of those things? The noises they make are ridiculous! I doubt even having the proportionate strength and speed of a spider could save you from a pug's maddening snorting!

All kidding aside though, this book is a lot of fun. It really gets to what Spider-Man is all about, doing the right thing even if the choice to do so is difficult. Also, making fun of bad guys while beating them up. That's important too. It showcases Spidey as a good role model, and it's fun at the same time.

The story is light in tone, but written well by Paul Tobin. Adults would enjoy the story just as much as a youngster would. The art is great too. The characters don't look overly cartoony, like most kids books, and it tells the story visually quite well. They also nailed how pugs look and act. I have my suspicions that the artist, Matteo Lolli, is a pug owner as well.

Overall, this is a great choice for the young folks out there looking to get into comics. It's great for adults as well, who can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that no one will be getting eviscerated in this comic book.

No comments:

Post a Comment